MOC Part 4
- Hospital with which surgeon is affiliated must be a SCOAP participating hospital with current, audited data.
- Hospital with which surgeon is affiliated must use the surgeon identifier window on SCOAP data submission form
- Surgeon must register for MOC 4 with the Foundation for HealthCare Quality (FHCQ) and provide proof of participation in SCOAP activities.This includes:
- attendance at the annual SCOAP Retreat or
- participation in at least one regional or local SCOAP meeting; and
- participation in at least two hospital meetings where SCOAP data is reviewed
- participation in a local quality improvement effort related to an opportunity for improvement identified by review of the SCOAP data
- Surgeon must read two SCOAP-related articles annually and answer a set of related questions. (See column to the right → )
Surgeons who have met these requirements will receive SCOAP MOC 4 certificates on a yearly basis that they can submit to the ABS as proof of involvement in the program. Please visit our online registration site now to provide your contact information and payment so that we might begin the certification process!
MOC: KEY POINTS TO KNOW
- Diplomates are required to participate in MOC once they certify or recertify in any specialty after July 1, 2005.
- MOC takes effect for a diplomate as of the July 1 following certification or recertification. MOC years run from July 1 to June 30.
- Every three years diplomates report to the ABS about their MOC activities by completing an online form on the ABS website. This form will be available as of January 2009.
- Also starting in January, diplomates will be able to log in to the ABS website and view a personalized MOC requirements timeline.
- Diplomates who certified or recertified in the fall of 2005 or spring of 2006 will be contacted in January with specific instructions and will have until June 30, 2009 to submit information about their MOC activities.
For more information on MOC Part 4 or other MOC requirements, see: http://home.absurgery.org/default.jsp?exam-moc.
Registration fees will be required to help fund this certification maintenance. Surgeons who have met these requirements swill receive SCOAP MOC 4 certificates on a yearly basis that they can submit to the ABS as proof of involvement in the program.
— Steve Cabrales, MD, SCOAP Champion at St. John Medical Center, Longview
Articles to Read (2014)
The Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP) Collaborative: Steve Kwon, MD, MPH, Richard Billingham, MD, FACS, Ellen Farrokhi, MD, FACS, Michael Florence, MD, FACS, Daniel Herzig, MD, FACS, Karen Horvath, MD, FACS, Terry Rogers, MD, Scott Steele, MD, FACS, Rebecca Symons, MPH, Richard Thirlby, MD, FACS, Mark Whiteford, MD, FACS, and David Flum, MD, MPH, FACS
J Am Coll Surg. 2012 Jun; 214(6):909-918.e1. PMID: 22533998.
Steve Kwon, MD MPH, Rachel Thompson, MD, Patchen Dellinger, MD, David Yanez, PhD, Ellen Farrohki, MD, and David Flum, MD, MPH
Ann Surg. 2013 Jan; 257(1):8-14. PMID: 23235393.
The writing group for the SCOAP Collaborative – Steve Kwon, MD, MPH, Michael Florence, MD, Peter Grigas, RN, BHSA, CTQM, CPHQ, Marc Horton, MD, Karen Horvath, MD, Morrie Johnson, MD, Gregory Jurkovich, MD, Wendy Klamp, MHA, Kristin Peterson, JD, Terence Quigley, MD, William Raum, MD, PhD, Terry Rogers, MD, Richard Thirlby, MD, Ellen T. Farrokhi, MD, and David R. Flum, MD, MPH
Surgery 2012 Feb; 151(2):146-52. PMID: 22129638.
Articles to Read (2013)
Steve Kwon, MD, MPH; Rachel Thompson, MD; Michael Florence, MD; Ronald Maier, MD; Lisa McIntyre, MD; Terry Rogers, MD; Ellen Farrohki, MD; Mark Whiteford, MD; David R. Flum, MD, MPH; for the Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP) Collaborative
The SCOAP Collaborative, Frederick Thurston Drake, MD, Michael G. Florence, MD, Morris G. Johnson, MD, Gregory J. Jurkovich, MD, Steve Kwon, MD, MPH, Zeila Schmidt, MLIS
Steve Kwon, MD, MPH; Arden Morris, MD, MPH; Richard Billingham, MD; Joseph Frankhouse, MD; Karen Horvath, MD; Morrie Johnson, MD; Shane McNevin, MD; Anthony Simons, MD; Rebecca Symons, MPH; Scott Steele, MD; Richard Thirlby, MD; Mark Whiteford, MD; David R. Flum, MD, MPH; for the Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP) Collaborative
Articles to Read (2012)
Steve Kwon, MD, MPH,a Michael Florence, MD,b Peter Grigas, RN, BHSA, CTQM, CPHQ,c Marc Horton, MD,b Karen Horvath, MD,a Morrie Johnson, MD,d Gregory Jurkovich, MD,e Wendy Klamp, MHA,a Kristin Peterson, JD,f Terence Quigley, MD,g William Raum, MD, PhD,h Terry Rogers, MD,i Richard Thirlby, MD,j Ellen T. Farrokhi, MD,k and David R. Flum, MD, MPH. Surgery. 2012 Feb;151(2):146-152.
Michael C. Stoner, MD, Dorian J. deFreitas, MD, Mark M. Manwaring, MD, Jacqueline J. Carter, MD, Frank M. Parker, DO, and C. Steven Powell, MD. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2008 Dec;48(6):1489-1496. Epub 2008 Jul 10.
Elizabeth A. McGlynn, Ph.D., Steven M. Asch, M.D., M.P.H., John Adams, Ph.D., Joan Keesey, B.A., Jennifer Hicks, M.P.H., Ph.D., Alison DeCristofaro, M.P.H., and Eve A. Kerr, M.D., M.P.H.. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jun 26;348(26):2635-2645. Epub 2011 Nov 9.
Articles to Read (2011)
Jonah J. Stulberg; Conor P. Delaney; Duncan V. Neuhauser; et al. Adherence to Surgical Care Improvement Project Measures and the Association With Postoperative Infections . JAMA. 2010;303(24):2479-2485. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.841
Smedley F, Bowling T, James M, et al. Randomized clinical trial of the effects of preoperative and postoperative oral nutritional supplements on clinical course and cost of care. Br J Surg. 2004; 91:983-990
Williams, Trevor M.; Harken, Alden H. Statins for Surgical Patients. Annals of Surgery – January 2008 (Vol. 247, Issue 1, Pages 30-37)
Articles to Read (2010)
Theodor Asgeirsson, Khaled I. El-Badawi, Ali Mahmood, Jeffrey Barletta, Martin Luchtefeld, Anthony J. Senagore. Postoperative Ileus: It Costs More Than You Expect. Journal of the American College of Surgeons – February 2010 (Vol. 210, Issue 2, Pages 228-231, DOI: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2009.09.028)
NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators, Finfer S, Chittock DR, Su SY, Blair D, Foster D, Dhingra V, Bellomo R, Cook D, Dodek P, Henderson WR, Hébert PC, Heritier S, Heyland DK, McArthur C, McDonald E, Mitchell I, Myburgh JA, Norton R, Potter J, Robinson BG, Ronco JJ. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med. 2009 Mar 26;360(13):1283-97. Epub 2009 Mar 24.
Articles to Read (2009)
Bangalore S, Wetterslev J, Shruthi P, Sawhney S, Gluud C, Messerli F. Perioperative β blockers in patients having non-cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis. Lancet. 2008 Dec 6;372(9654):1962-76.
Ramos M, Khalpey Z, Lipsitz S, Steinberg J, Panizales MT, Zinner M, Rogers SO. Relationship of perioperative hyperglycemia and postoperative infections in patients who undergo general and vascular surgery. Ann Surg. 2008 Oct;248(4):585-91.
Wong SL, Ji H, Hollenbeck BK, Morris AM, Baser O, Birkmeyer JD. Hospital lymph node examination rates and survival after resection for colon cancer. JAMA. 2007 Nov 14;298(18):2149-54.